- Tenerife has topped the list of locations in Spain British buyers have been searching for at the start of the year, overtaking Costa Del Sol which was top at the same time last year
- Costa Del Sol was the second most searched for location, and Mallorca was third
- The town of Salobreña is Spain’s search hotspot at the start of the year, with searches more than tripling compared to last year (+226%)
- Oliva, a municipality in Valencia, was Spain’s second search hotspot (+167%), and the city of Dénia in eastern Spain was third (+90%)
- A rising numbers of searches in many areas suggests early signs British buyers are getting on with planning their overseas purchases after pandemic delays
New data from the UK’s biggest overseas property website Rightmove reveals that Tenerife has topped the list of locations in Spain British buyers have been searching for at the start of the year.
Tenerife overtakes Costa Del Sol, which was the number one location this time last year. Costa Del Sol was the second most searched for location at the start of the year, and Mallorca was third.
Mallorca jumps a spot to third place from fourth at the start of last year, after being the most searched for overseas destination by British buyers last summer.
The town of Salobreña in the region of Granada has topped the list of hotspots in Spain that British buyers have been searching for more than last year.
Searches for Salobreña more than tripled at the start of the year (+226%). Oliva in Valencia came second (+167%), and Dénia in eastern Spain was third (+90%).
Despite some ongoing conditions of travel, a rising number of searches in many areas of Spain suggests easing restrictions are helping British buyers planning overseas purchases.
Rightmove’s Overseas Insights Expert Rachel Beaton said: “Conditions of travel easing both in leaving and coming back to the UK is really helping many British buyers to get on with planning their purchases overseas, either as a permanent move or as a home for the holidays. For many buyers, these plans will be two years in the making, and we’re seeing early signs that confidence is slowly returning. We expect confidence to slowly increase during 2022 as long as it possible to get abroad and see potential homes overseas.”
Lisa Cornforth, Managing Director at Welcome Estates said: “UK buyers have finally made it back to Spain which is great news. Visitors from all over the world can now travel to Spain, and since the end of last year the market has seen a significant boom. We are hearing all the time that priorities have changed in many people’s lives due to the pandemic, and they now want to make that dream of owning a home in Spain a reality. The issue in the market currently is supply and demand due to the high number of sales over the last 6 months, and prices are on the increase. If you are thinking about purchasing a property in Spain do not hang around if you find the property for you!”
Most searched for locations in Spain
|2||Costa del Sol|
Spain search hotspots
|Location||Increase in searches January 2022 vs January 2021|
Looking for more news from Rightmove Overseas?
You’ll find all the latest insights and updates on the Rightmove Overseas Hub:
- Buyer searches in Spain compares January 2022 with January 2021